Did you know that any time you use public WiFi with your smartphone you are putting yourself at risk?
That’s right — public WiFi is a playground for hackers who are just waiting to access your secure data. But, here’s the good news…
You can do something about it!
The solution in three words: Virtual Private Networks. Virtual Private Networks, or VPNs, serve to protect you, your data and your identity in a number of ways, but the most important thing to understand about VPNs is this: VPNs secure the Internet connection you are using so that all of the data you are transmitting is encrypted. This makes it more secure from hackers and other people who are trying to see what you are sending or receiving.
More specifically, a VPN is a collection of computers or networks that are joined together over a public network such as the Internet. You can use a VPN to connect your data centers, or to access your home network without the need to log into a computer on the same local area network. A VPN could also be used to secure transmissions and messages if you are using an untrusted network that is open to the public. So, as you can clearly see, VPNs offer you a world of benefit in the smartphone era.
Here are a few more reasons why VPNs are so vital for smartphone users:
1. Having a VPN allows you to access your files and other data on your network even when you are away from home, your office or when you are traveling. A lot of companies are letting their employees use their own devices for work, and having a VPN is a great way to keep your transactions, messages and data safe.
2. Use VPN when you are on public Wi-Fi. Public Wi-Fi puts you at risk, and you never know who may be trying to hack into your phone. Having a VPN on your iPhone or Android will keep you safe when you are connecting to a public Wi-Fi in a coffee shop, airport, hotel or elsewhere.
3. VPN allows you to be more secure. If you use your smartphone for work, you will appreciate that VPN easily makes your transmission, e-mails and other communications safe, encrypted and secure.
4. If you are using your iPhone or Android to download files, you should also use VPN. This is also true if you are paranoid about BitTorrent files. Sometimes, just having a torrent-downloading app on your iPhone could put you at risk, but a VPN will protect you against that potential problem.
5. With VPN, you can use your smartphone to watch your favorite TV shows back home. When traveling, you can connect to a VPN and check out your TV shows, sporting events or even watch Netflix online, even if it is restricted where you are.